Situated in southern Bryan County, Achille is located twelve miles south of the county seat of Durant and at the intersection of State Highways 78 and 91. Three miles southeast of present-day Achille the Methodist Episcopal Church had opened the Bloomfield Academy for Chickasaw girls in 1853. At that time the area was located in the Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. The community developed after the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad built a line from Calvin (Hughes County, Oklahoma) to the Red River in 1908 10. A post office, designated as Achilla, was established on June 10, 1910. The name was changed to Achille on August 5, 1910. According to historian George H. Shirk, the moniker is a corruption of a Cherokee word, atsila, meaning fire. During the Civil War (1861-65) Cherokee refugees had located in the area and called it atsila.