Blue Ridge, Texas
BLUE RIDGE, TEXAS (Collin County). Blue Ridge is at the intersection of State Highway 78 and Farm Road 981, in northeastern Collin County. The town is on land originally owned by Matthiss Mowry, who received a land grant from the Republic of Texas for his service in the Texas Revolution. Blue Ridge was established in 1876 and named for its hilltop location and the blue-flowering grass that grows in the area; from a distance the grass looks like a blue haze. In 1876 a post office was established at Blue Ridge, and the next year a cotton gin, sawmill, and gristmill were constructed there. By 1900 the community had an estimated population of just under 400, which increased to 600 by 1915. That same year the Greenville and Whitewright Northern Traction Company (later the Greenville and Northwestern Railway) built a railroad line from Blue Ridge to Anna, twelve miles northeast. The line was abandoned five years later. On October 8, 1919, a tornado struck Blue Ridge, killing seven people and destroying over $100,000 worth of property.