Farmers Branch was settled in 1842 by Thomas Keenan and his wife, Sarah. The area was called Mustang, as part of Peter’s Colony, but later changed to Farmers Branch due to the rich soil and flourishing crops. The settlement originally included all the land between White Rock Creek on the east, the Elm Fork of the Trinity on the west, the Dallas County Line on the north, and Cedar Springs on the south.
John Keenan was the first child born in Farmers Branch but died two months later. He is buried in the Keenan Cemetery located on Valley View Lane, part of the original Keenan land.
Farmers Branch was widely advertised both in the east and in Europe. During the years between 1845 and 1850, it was the best-known of all of the Texas settlements.
A blacksmith shop and gristmill was started in 1845 by the Rev. William Bowles, a Baptist minister. The same year, Isaac Webb donated land for Webb’s Chapel Methodist Church, which also served as the first school in the county. Mr. Webb also served as the first postmaster when the Farmers Branch Post Office was established in 1848.