Calera is a town in Bryan County,Oklahoma, United States, only 5 miles south of Durant and 10 miles north of theOklahoma-Texas stateline. The population was 2,164 at the 2010 census, an increase of 24.4 percent from 1,739 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Durant Micropolitan Area.
When the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway built a line through the Choctaw Nation in 1872, the community of Cale was established on the east side of the tracks. It was named after the railroad official George W. Cale. In 1889, the first post office was established.
In 1889, the town was christened as Sterrett but Katy railroad officials refused to accept the name change, and referred to the site as Cale Switch or Cale. The conflict continued until 1910, when the town accepted the name Calera as a compromise.