Most local historians believe Carrollton received its name from the hometown of early settlers, who came from Carrollton, Illinois. The name was officially established on May 16, 1878, when the first U.S. Post Office opened in Carrollton.
Carrollton’s early settlers arrived in the 1840s. These early settlers purchased land from The Peters Colony. These hardy pioneers were rugged individuals with incredible courage to risk it all for their dream of a better life and an even better life for future generations. These people had the determination to withstand the hardships of their treacherous journeys to this untamed frontier – a foreign and wild country. These several hundred industrious families shared a dream of prosperity. They planted crops, raised cattle and sheep, and built homes and churches.
One story told is about an early settler who came to scout the area before bringing his family to this area. He was so impressed with what he saw that he scooped up a handful of dirt to take back to his family to show them how rich the soil was for farming.