An incorporated community in Marshall County, Kingston is situated eight miles southeast of Madill at the junction of U.S. Highway 70 and State Highways 32, 70A, and 70B. Established in 1894 in Pickens County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory, the town was named for Jeff King, a local resident. The Kingston post office was established on April 4, 1894, with John F. Robinson as postmaster. The settlement included a general store, a cotton gin, and a schoolhouse that served as a church.
In 1900 construction of the St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway progressed through Indian Territory, and townsites were surveyed along the right-of-way. A station was established some two miles northeast of Kingston on the land of James Hampton Willis, a Chickasaw, and was named in honor of his daughter, Helen. Kingston’s post office and businesses moved there to be near the railroad. Attempts to have the post office name changed to Helen were unsuccessful, as there was already a Helena, Indian Territory. Because confusion resulted from the station and post office having different designations, railroad officials renamed the depot Kingston. The town was incorporated on November 2, 1906, and its population was 477 in 1907.