Lake Ray Roberts Area, Texas
The Ray Roberts Lake WMA has 41,303 acres located in Denton, Cooke and Grayson counties, just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and is managed under a license agreement with the US Army Corps of Engineers. Construction on Ray Roberts Lake was started in September, 1981 to provide water to the cities of Dallas and Denton. Originally known as Aubrey Reservoir, the lake was renamed in 1980 (before construction began) for former Congressman Ray Roberts (1913-1992) of Denton. The dam was completed in July, 1987. Lake Ray Roberts WMA was licensed in June, 1988.
The WMA offers managed Public Hunting opportunities including hunts for youths, access to fishing, many trails for hiking and wildlife viewing. Ray Roberts Lake occupies 29,000 acres of the WMA and provides habitat for many species of fish and waterfowl. A portion of the Lake and WMA is set aside as a waterfowl sanctuary (closed only to waterfowl hunting).