MULBERRY, TEXAS (Fannin County). Mulberry is on Farm Road 3321 eight miles northwest of Bonham and two miles south of the Red River in northwestern Fannin County. The first settlers arrived in the early 1840s, but little development occurred there before the end of the Civil War. Mulberry was established in the early 1880s; its name came from the many mulberry trees in the vicinity. A post office operated there from 1886 to 1906. By the end of the 1880s Mulberry had a general store, a blacksmith shop, two steam gristmills, two cotton gins, and a church. The small farming community produced cotton, corn, millet, and a variety of fruits. Eighty-nine persons resided there in the mid-1930s, but by 1977 the population had fallen to seventeen; the same number was reported through 2000.