Princeton began in September of 1888, when Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway extended its line from Greenville to McKinney and created a railroad switch on the land (known as Wilsons Switch. When the post office was established, Wilson could not be used since there was already a town named Wilson, so Princeton was chosen in honor of Prince Dowlen, a promoter of the townsite.
Princeton flourished during the 1880 and 1890 and it became apparent that cotton and onion farming was going to continue this growth for years to come. For a short time, Princeton had one of the world largest market for bois d’arc logs. The first cotton gin was built in 1895 and by 1924 Princeton had three gins in operation. In 1936, (297) train cars of onions were shipped from Princeton. As years went by, onion farming was replaced by cantaloupe which has become a major crop for this area to date.